Re: [OT] External RAID for home

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I need storage for my home network - lots of storage.  It's going to
> hold pictures, home movies, music, other bits of data, etc.
>
> I'm looking to start at about 500 GB, but I'd need to eventually grow
> that to 1 TB, or more.  I also want something that is quiet, hot
> swappable drives (not necessary, but a plus), fairly easy to manage, and
> can be directly attached to the network.
>
> I've done my own searching, and so far I've come up with the ReadyNAS NV
> +: http://www.infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=ReadyNAS%
> 20NVPlus
>
> Is there anything else similar to the ReaddyNAS NV+?
>
> I currently have an Arena Aiby v2 for my small business/home office, but
> it's LOUD, cannot be directly attached to the network, and uses PATA
> drives.  It's also leased, so instead of buying it out at the end, I
> just want to let it go when the lease is up.
>
> All recommendations welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

I've got a 3Ware RAID hard drive cage that I've used for a couple of
years now.  It's hot swappable and I've got about 700GB in it right now.
 It's stable and fast enough for serving up MP3s and movies.

--
Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico
fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support