Re: Laptop screen resolution

On 5/9/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/05/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 13:00 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I just noticed that my Dell Inspiron laptop, which bills it's screen
> > as 1400x1050, actually has 1680x050 usable pixels. I edit xorg.conf to
> > add that resolution, but KDE does not present me that option when I
> > log in after killing X. I tried looking for the KDE configuration file
> > to edit by hand, but I could not find it. Would this be unwise? How
> > can I add 1680x1050 as a resolution option?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> That is interesting. How did you discover that a higher resolution was
> actually being used? If you do a CTL-alt-F1 and log in as root. And then
> run system-config-display you don't see the higher resolution as a
> choice?

It's running at the lower (1400x1050) resolution. There is a BIOS
setting which stretches lower resolutions to fill the entire screen.
Disabling that option makes the screen display pixel-pixel, but there
are black bars. And now my fonts aren't fuzzy!

I do see the higher resolution in system-config-display, and I set it,
but the lappy does not use it. Checking in Gnome/KDE control panels
(and by the black bars) I see that I'm still at 1400x1050.

Dotan Cohen

Do you really believe Dell would give you a higher res display without
informing you?