Re: Email ???

At 12:40 PM -0400 4/30/07, Steve Friedman wrote:

>Greylisting is one of the biggest winners here.  We've cut the spam load
>so much that spam assassin now catches almost nothing.
>

>>> Also look at Early Talker, called Greet Pause in sendmail.  It's when the
>>> sender has sent the whole message at once, rather than having a proper SMTP
>>> conversation.  Such messages can be presumed spam, and discarded with no
>>> further action.
>>
>> Hmm... That looks like a reasonable idea.
>>

>The general consensus on the postfix mailing idea is that Greet Pause is a
>bad idea (TM).  What it ends up doing is (a) delay legitimate mail and (b)
>DoS your own server as you now take longer to handle legitimate mail.  Any
>mail source that would fail greet pause will also fail numerous other
>checks that don't inconvenience your intended users (and your own system).

Well, don't forget that greylisting will delay each new legitimate mail
sender by a while (maybe a few hours), requires maintaining whitelists for
the server farms of large email providers (AOL, etc.) or email from them
may take much more than 4 hours to get through, and the mail must be
handled twice by your server rather than just once.