Re: Booting CDs on a Dell GX280 tip

On 4/27/07, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/27/07, Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/27/07, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Greetings list,
> >
> > I have been having issues booting from burned media on my Dell
> > GX280's. I know it is a good boot CD since other machines (including
> > the closely related GX260) boot the same disk fine. I think Dell put a
> > CD drive in these models that is a bit more picky as to the type of
> > CD-R media used with it as "pressed" CDs boot fine.
> >
> > Just passing on a tip to get these things booting off of burnable
> > media: burn your install/LiveCD ISOs on to DVD-R/RW or mini-DVD-RW.
> > The included DVD-ROM drive reads and boots them just fine. It may work
> > for others having issues with booting from burnt media on flakey CD
> > drives ... at least on newer machines. I know there are a few of you
> > out there judging from reading the mailing list.
>
> You left out another tip regarding homemade CD/DVDs: Do not burn at
> highest speed of burner.  Your other drives may not be able to
> track/read those high speed burns.

A good tip. I had tried that on these particular machines though and
while it got further, it still wouldn't boot all the way.

The DVDs seem to have less variation in the dyes they use from what I
understand.

These all effect readability: medium/dye, speed (regulation/tracking),
dot size (width and length), media flatness (cause of wobble).

/Mike