Re: Booting CDs on a Dell GX280 tip

On 4/27/07, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings list,

I have been having issues booting from burned media on my Dell
GX280's. I know it is a good boot CD since other machines (including
the closely related GX260) boot the same disk fine. I think Dell put a
CD drive in these models that is a bit more picky as to the type of
CD-R media used with it as "pressed" CDs boot fine.

Just passing on a tip to get these things booting off of burnable
media: burn your install/LiveCD ISOs on to DVD-R/RW or mini-DVD-RW.
The included DVD-ROM drive reads and boots them just fine. It may work
for others having issues with booting from burnt media on flakey CD
drives ... at least on newer machines. I know there are a few of you
out there judging from reading the mailing list.

You left out another tip regarding homemade CD/DVDs: Do not burn at
highest speed of burner.  Your other drives may not be able to
track/read those high speed burns.

/Mike