Re: Switching to libata drivers

On 4/27/07, John Wendel <john.wendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kam Leo wrote:
> On 4/27/07, John Wendel <john.wendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to switch my PATA drives to use the new libata drivers
>> instead of the old ide drivers. Can someone point me to a howto
>> or other document that explains what I need to change.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>
> Get hold of the source code (http://kernel.org) and compile/build a
> new kernel.

I've already built the new kernel ( 2.6.21 vanilla, released yesterday
). For now, I left the old IDE drivers in the build (as well as the
SATA drivers I need) because I wasn't sure what would break if I
dropped the old IDE drivers without doing some prep work first.

You're asking us about what will break with a new driver? You have the
process turned upside down. You adventurous types are supposed to tell
us what broke!

If you have no fear of loosing data, just let go of the old driver,
rebuild the new kernel, and use it.

If you have data you want to keep, back the data up on another medium
or drive (one that is not attached to the system when the new driver
is running), rebuild the kernel, and have at it.

I'm sure you know the risks: a) loss of data or b) loss of drive

Thanks,

John