Re: Can't upgrade to FC6 from FC4

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 09:59 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 4/25/07, Jim Lowman <jmlowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The install is dying when I try to upgrade from FC4 to
> > FC6 on my AMD64 3400+ machine.  It freezes just after
> > identifying the video card, which is a nVidia GeForce
> > 6600.
> >
> > Everything was running fine with FC4.  I thought the
> > Audigy Sound Blaster card might be the problem and
> > pulled it, but no joy.  I have tried to install both
> > the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of FC6 with the same
> > result.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks in advance...Jim
> >

> The sound card should not cause you problems during install. Have you
> tried "linux text" install? You can install the proper Nvidia driver
> at a later time.

I remember needing a kernel parameter to boot the FC6 install DVD.

I do not remember which kernel parameter I used.
I think it was enable_8254_timer.
I think I typed "linux enable_8254_timer".

I used to use enable_8254_timer on my kernel boot line.
After a certain FC6 version, that failed.  I next had to use noapic.

I have not tried booting without noapic to see if it is still needed.

In /boot/grub/grub.conf, I have the following kernel line:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet noapic
to boot the kernel with the noapic option.

It would be presumptuous of me to assume noapic or enable_8254_timer
fixes your problem.  My best guess is you need some kernel parameter.

I have a Compaq Presario SR2037X (AMD64 3800+).
I assume some models need no kernel parameters.
I assume other models need different kernel parameters.
I believe different parameters are needed with different Linux versions.

I believe the parameters needed depend on the particular Linux kernel,
on the BIOS, and on the design of the motherboard.

I searched the Internet for a list of kernel parameters:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/lkn/lkn_pdf/ch09.pdf

I assume you have a desktop, from Compaq/HP.
HP is supposed to be supportive of open source.

I did a google search: HP Linux
The first page has a number of HP websites pertaining to Linux.
I do not know if it would be a waste of time browsing their websites.

In summary, I would first try various kernel parameters.
I would next try the HP websites hoping they have some Linux support.