Re: Can't upgrade to FC6 from FC4

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Jim Lowman wrote:

The install is dying when I try to upgrade from FC4 to
FC6 on my AMD64 3400+ machine.  It freezes just after
identifying the video card, which is a nVidia GeForce
6600.

Everything was running fine with FC4.  I thought the
Audigy Sound Blaster card might be the problem and
pulled it, but no joy.  I have tried to install both
the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of FC6 with the same
result.

Any ideas?

I just did a similar upgrade. It did not lock up on the nvidia 440 MX chipset on my AMD64 box. It did go into a panic loop after the install and I had to hand reboot it. I am now picking up the pieces trying to get mail and postgrey to work correctly again. (As well as cursing that pine has such a stupid license that it cannot be included in core.)

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                  - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark