Re: GDM not properly configured

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 18:22 +1000, Simon Slater wrote:
> 	I don't think that gdm is properly configured,  but solutions to
> similar problems found in these archives suggest that the configuration
> is basically right, but it doesn't funcion like other FC6 installs.
> Perhaps someone could help?
>
> 	An install of FC6 defaulted to text mode due to the old graphics card,
> but the display and graphical apps are all functioning fine.  FC6 boots
> into runlevel 3, after logging in as any user startx brings up Gnome.
> As root from a terminal gdm brings up the graphical login screen.  The
> question is: Why not automatically as part of the (re)boot process?
>
> 	The last lines of /etc/inittab are:
> # Run xdm in runlevel 5
> x:5:once:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Further up, under the default runlevel comments:

id:5:initdefault:

That makes runlevel 5 the default.  The line you're looking at is to do
with something that happens when you're in runlevel 5.

If you're booting into run level 3, it'll have a 3 in there, instead of
the 5.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.