Re: Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

On Apr 18 Les Mikesell did spake thusly:

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 05:21:00PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
And how does that work out for you when you keep your multimedia files
on exteral USB drives for portability among linux/mac/windows boxes?
I guess it depends on the file system. If it is a FAT file system,
then you are probably stuck with something like the present system.
If it is a system that supports extended file attributes, then you
only need to update the attributes for new/changed files. Now, if
the idea turns out to be a practical one, then hopefully it will
also be supported on the MAC. Two out of three aren't bad...

This is exactly what Apple *used* to do.

Until someone realized that you might use the same file with more than one application?

Until someone cunningly pointed out that no file extension and the icon being kept in the resource fork was a TINY BIT OF A SECURITY HOLE.

I want my OS to decide if an mp3 is an mp3, not any arbitrary file to look like one and then delete all my documents when I double click it

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

The PILLSBURY DOUGHBOY is CRYING for an END to BURT REYNOLDS movies!!