Re: Saving more than two kernels

Kam Leo wrote:

>>> In /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf. change
>>> tokeep=2 to tokeep=5.
>> Unless some one can tell us which service to restart the
>> only way I know of for this to take hold and actually work
>> is to reboot the system.
>
> There is no service. This file is read by yum every time it is run. If
> you change it, the next time you run yum, it should pick up the new
> value.  I routinely change this from 2 to 5 on all of my machines.

Have you ever actually needed to go back to something earlier than the
kernel you were running when the update picked up the next one?

Yes, kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 broke PS/2 mouse functionality on some
systems, one of which belonged to me. It took an additional three
updates before an updated kernel was released which fixed the problem
on my system. To date some users report their PS/2 mouse is still
broken.

But at least on my FC5 system set to keep 2 kernels, it kept the one I was running and the new one being installed. There were many that would not boot, but they were replaced each time instead of the older one that I kept having to choose to boot.

Since FC5 I have made it a practice of setting "tokeep" to 5. I do not
maintain 5 kernels, but I keep the threshold at 5 for events such as
the one above.

Another response mentioned a situation where a kernel ran well enough to install the next broken one, but a problem was noticed later. In that scenario you would need more than two.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx