Re: Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 08:45:35AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
And unfortunately, even though I suspect that many people would very much like a legal distribution based on Linux that could include all the parts necessary to be a viable competitor to Microsoft, the GPL will always prevent it from happening.
That's a funny place to put the blame.
Sometimes the truth is funny... By design, there is no legal way to distribute a combination of GPL'd code and anything with different restrictions. So, whatever number of software patents exist, plus the

That's clearly not true, as a substantial portion of Fedora consists of code
with licenses with different restrictions than those of the GPL.

Yes, those substantial portions contain no GPL code at all.

But, this claim seems unrelated to your earlier one, about being "a viable
competitor".

I'd consider OSX to be a viable competitor to Windows, but would assume that their kernel contains components that are not compatible with the GPL. Until someone demonstrates an equally complete Linux system, I'll continue to assume that it is impossible - and I'll keep using OSX and Windows where I need it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx