Re: eth0 becomes inactive after reboot in fc6?

>> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 16:48:53 Hongwei Li wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just installed fc6 on a P4 1.8GHz pc. The installation went smoothly, no
>>> any error. After installation, it looks all are working normally: network,
>>> web, ssh, iptables, etc.
>>>
>>> Later, I reboot it after updating the available packages (shown on the
>>> screen automatically), the network card eth0 becomes inactive.
>>> I have to manually go: System -- Administration -- Network
>>> then click Activate, and File -- Save.
>>> After that, everything works if I don't restart the system. Once I restart
>>> it as it was remineded when I click File -- Save, then it becomes inactive
>>> again.
>>>
>>> I checked the device setting, the box "Active device when computer starts"
>>> is checked, but the other 2 boxes are not. It uses static ip address.
>>>
>>> The network card is Intel Corp 82801BA built in the motherboard. No other
>>> network card installed.
>>>
>>> Can somebody help me to solve the problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Hongwei Li
>>
>> Did you take a look at the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?
>> Something strange there? Is the line "ONBOOT=yes" there?
>>
>> --
>> Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.
>
> Yes, here it is:
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> BROADCAST=128.252.85.255
> HWADDR=00:03:47:FF:08:90
> IPADDR=128.252.85.9
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=128.252.85.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> GATEWAY=128.252.85.254
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes
>
> Any clue? Thanks!
> Hongwei

I just rebooted the computer again and noticed the error message on the screen
during booting:
Bringup interface eth0: sysfs class ... failed, ... some device has alread
used the ip address 128.252.85.9  ...     [Fail]

What does that mean? this system does not have any other network device, and
this ip address is not used by any other system in our campus -- once I
activate it, there is no ip address conflict at all (I leave it running
overnight, it is still working well).

Any help? Thanks!

Hongwei Li