Re: Adding a Linux printer to Windows XP

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> OK, I'm about ready to give up on this.  For years, I've been able to
>> print from my wife's Windows computer to my printer on my Linux server
>> (currently running FC5).
>>

>> 2) I tried having windows print directly to the CUPS IPP URL:
>>
>>    http://linuxserv:634/printers/lp
                       ^^^
should have been:      631

>> I have even configured my Linux userid/password but the error message I
>> get back from Windows is permission denied.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>>
> What is the name of the printer? I have a LaserJet 6L that I gave
> the name LaserJet6L in CUPS. Windows XP accesses it using:

The printer queue is "lp".  It is a Samsung CLP-510 color laser.  This
is the queue that I use from Linux.

> http://192.168.0.9:631/printers/laserjet6l

That's what I'm doing.  I can access the CUPS WWW page from the windows
machine via this URL in firefox, and I can print a test page from the
CUPS page, but I cannot get Windows to add a printer which can print
even a test page to this printer!  The testpage document goes into the
local windows spool queue, and the status immediately becomes ERROR.
I have no other info.

>> Problem #3:  I have a Windows XP Pro running in a VMWare session on my
>> new laptop.  Since the VMWare network (between VMWare and the laptop) is
>> on a different subnet from my main home network (bridged by VMWare), how
>> can I print to this printer from the VMWare session?  I assume that in
>> addition to the same solution listed above, I'll need to add sufficient
>> network routing so that my linuxserv machine can see the Windows XP Pro
>> system and have the right routing in order to get there.  Even if my
>> laptop is on ethernet or wireless.....
>>
> Are you sure you are using bridged mode? I get an IP address in the
> same subnet, assigned by the DHCP server on my network.

VMWare creates to subnets (I'm on 192.168.6.x, the 2 created networks by
VMWare are 192.168.38.x (vmnet8) and 192.168.74.x (vmnet1).  Windows XP
sits on a DHCP address in the 192.168.38.x network.

My laptop has the correct routing table on the Linux side for these
subnets, and /proc/sys/nt/ipv4/ip_forward is set to 1, so it can forward
the correct packets to the .38. subnet (if it sees them).  What may not
be set up is the proper routing on my Linux Server machine to know how
to get to the .38. subnet from there....  I think I need a static route
for that, right?  Other packets headed for these subnets gets sent to my
router which doesn't know squat about them.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx