Re: Adding a Linux printer to Windows XP

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> OK, I'm about ready to give up on this.  For years, I've been able to
> print from my wife's Windows computer to my printer on my Linux server
> (currently running FC5).
>

> 2) I tried having windows print directly to the CUPS IPP URL:
>
>    http://linuxserv:634/printers/lp
>
> I have even configured my Linux userid/password but the error message I
> get back from Windows is permission denied.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

What is the name of the printer? I have a LaserJet 6L that I gave
the name LaserJet6L in CUPS. Windows XP accesses it using:

http://192.168.0.9:631/printers/laserjet6l

> Problem #3:  I have a Windows XP Pro running in a VMWare session on my
> new laptop.  Since the VMWare network (between VMWare and the laptop) is
> on a different subnet from my main home network (bridged by VMWare), how
> can I print to this printer from the VMWare session?  I assume that in
> addition to the same solution listed above, I'll need to add sufficient
> network routing so that my linuxserv machine can see the Windows XP Pro
> system and have the right routing in order to get there.  Even if my
> laptop is on ethernet or wireless.....

Are you sure you are using bridged mode? I get an IP address in the
same subnet, assigned by the DHCP server on my network.

Mikkel