Re: [Fedora] Re: Alternatives to du

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Mark Haney wrote:

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
alan wrote:
That sounds like an indicator of a bigger problem. On an unraided 330GB drive, du takes a fraction of that to complete. (I would have to run a test to get actual times.) Sounds like there is something else going on.
That would depend on the amount of physical files on the drive. You can have 100 massive files and du will run nice and fast, or you can have 1,000,000 tiny files and folders and du will take its dear sweet time to run.

this is exactly my problem I believe. I have a 4TB RAID SAN and the problem directory holds well over a million small files. Even a directory under that directory, du takes almost 40 minutes to total up 74GB.

It also depends on the directory structure. If all those files are in a small number of directories, it will take a very long time. And not just du. Anything that stats those files is going to take a lot of time. It is not a problem with du, it is a problem with the filesystem not handling large quantites on files in a single directory. (A lesson learned using xmh and being subscribed to the kernel list.)

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                  - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark