Re: Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

On Tuesday 10 April 2007, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 4/10/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > And that would help how?  Yes, you'd know what you're missing...but you
> > > already know you're missing "something" so why not install the
> > > OpenOffice rpms and be assured of missing nothing.
> >
> > No-one is answering the question.  Forget the OpenOffice fixation.  The
> > question is 'How do we know which of Fedora's packages have been altered
> > in this way?'
>
> I suppose you might say that you didn't like my ambiguous,
> non-official response, but I would prefer that you hold me to some
> regard higher than "no-one". I'll attempt a response again.
>
> OpenOffice is the first I have heard of this. And while I believe this
> particular thing is a small thing, I suppose others disagree. If you
> know of other specific cases, let us know... maybe someone can keep
> track. But to my knowledge no such list exists, what does exist is the
> publicly known policy. Again, no such list as that you request exists
> to my knowledge.
>
> And besides OpenOffice, which I wasn't aware of, I am aware of no
> other such deficiencies. And lack of codecs do not fit this bill since
> codecs aren't part of the program. The feature in question here was
> part of the program.
>
> > OpenOffice would be one, but there are others.  Totem comes to
> > mind, and I'd guess that there are lots more.  As Les remarked, it could
> > be indicated in the package name.
>
> Or, one could be aware of Fedora's fairly simple and straight forward
> policies.
>
> > As for how it would help, we could then decide for ourselves whether we
> > need to go to the source and build our own packages.
> >
> > Anne
>
> You could always do that. Have you suffered from any such "stripping"
> before?

No, Arthur.  You are still not answering the question.  To be truthful, I
doubt if anyone here can.  You (and others) go over and over the same points
about OpenOffice.  That is not what the question was.  The question, once
again, is how many other packages are similarly affected?  and how could you
know?

Being aware of the policies is no help at all if you don't know which bit of
coding might transgress and whether it is present in the source material.

Anne