clean epson C64 printhead with CUPS?

Hi,

I have an Epson C64 printer running with FC6 up to date. I periodically need to
clean the print heads. Until now the method has been to reboot into XP and use
the Epson driver there. This works fine but is tedious. I recently updated the
Epson CUPS driver, hoping for this functionality, but it is apparently not
there. I then ran kcontrol, went into peripherals, printers and Epson printer
tools. There I found a page that seems to offer exactly the options needed to
nozzle print, align and clean the heads, in a vertical sequence of 6 buttons.
But clicking on any button gives the message, :unsupported connection type: hal."

I don't know about hal connection types. This printer is connected by a USB
cable which has given no problems in regular use. I conclude I have stumbled
upon some unfamiliar jargon and am seeking advice.

Anyone?

Dave

--
In the world?s anti-Bush zones it is fashionable to regard him as an imperialist
redneck of limited intellectual capacities. -- George Ross in Le Monde Diplomatique