Re: Trying to get wireless card to work in FC6

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 08:42 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> Richard England <rlengland <at> verizon.net> writes:
>
> > I have a a Toshiba laptop running FC 6  with uname showing  kernel
> > 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6  running a  DWL G650 AirPlus PCMCIA card
> >
> > rpm -qa  reports:
> >     madwifi-0.9.3-1.lvn6
> >     kmod-madwifi-0.9.3-1.2.6.20_1.2933.fc6
> >
> > When a new kernel comes out, there is an understandable lag before the
> > new kernel modules appear on Livna.  Is it possible that you had the
> > wrong module installed?
> >
> > /etc/modprobe.conf shows  "alias ath0 ath_pci"
> >
> > I'm using NetworkManager  to handle the network setup and everything is
> > working fine.  Had to enable NetworkManager and
> > NetworkManagerDispatcher  using "System>Administration>Services", initially.
>
> Thanks Richard - I had the correct kernel and there was no i586 problem. Also I
> had installed the latest livna version - I did have the two extra lines in
> modprobe.conf and I also tried with NetworkManager but it made no difference.
Just haow did you try NetworkManager? Did you stop network script and
have NetworkManagerDispatcher running. On my machine the line in
modprobe.conf was just alias eth1 ipw2200 in addition to the eth0 line.
What lines sis you finally have in your modprobe.conf?

> I will try again with the livna rpms but use just the one line in modprobe.conf.
>  Also rather than just load the modules I will reboot the machine after doing
> changes and then plug the card in - sometimes for some reason I noted that the
> card initialises differently after re-booting compared to using say ifdown and
> then ifup.  At one point I had ifconfig and iwconfig showing the correct ssid
> and key but it still did not associate!
>
> Anyway I will try again and report more in a day or so. The main reason for my
> original post was to see if someone had a step by step howto - so I could
> compare with my attempts - to see where I may have gone wrong.  I am not
> entirely new to wifi on laptops and have ipw2200 on one machine, and ipw3945 on
> another which I compile myself and which do work.  It is just on this final
> machine with no internal wireless that I need a plug-in wireless card - and I
> did not know if it was my ineptness which stopped me from getting it going or if
> there was a bug in either the kernel or drivers which was the problem... but I
> will persist and keep going till it works !
>
> Mike

Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies,
Statistics, Benchmarks, and Delivery dates.