Re: FC4 -> FC6

On 3/28/07, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:

> There are many applications that I was running in FC4 that I still have
> not found for FC6 in rpm form.

Such as ...

> It also took a very very long time to do, almost all day.  A clean
> install was under an hour plus the updates.

How exactly did you do the upgrade?
Did you run the installation CD, and choose "upgrade"?
I don't think this should have taken all day,
or indeed more time than a clean install and update.

Yes, it does take a long time. My systems have almost every package is
selected for installation. Upgrading just from FC5 to FC6 took about
forever. This is especially apparent when a system has the mimimum
(256MB) amount of recommended memory. You can see the hard drive being
accessed all the time while the DVD drive sits idle.

IMHO, this is probably due to use of an inefficient algorithm for
processing the packages. Smart package manager had a similar problem
until they changed algorithms.

Timothy Murphy