Re: remove evolution-data-server question

On 3/27/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Telling yumex to remove evolution-data-server it wants to
> remove all these other files.  some of these files appear
> to be a problem if they are removed.  Why is
> evolution-data-server needed if I am not using Gnome or
> Evolution.  What problems will I cause by removing
> evolution-data-server?

This is the package description from yum info evolution-data-server. It
has a dependency on gnome-panel and hence cannot be removed if you are
using GNOME.

"The evolution-data-server package provides a unified backend for
programs that work with contacts, tasks, and calendar information.

It was originally developed for Evolution (hence the name), but is now
used by other packages"

Rahul

I once had the same query the OP had when I was trying to slim down my
package count. I still don't understand what "The
evolution-data-server package provides a unified backend for programs
that work with contacts, tasks, and calendar information." has to do
with "The GNOME panel provides the window list, workspace switcher,
menus, and other features for the GNOME desktop." . Please explain if
you can.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud