Re: Double summer time?

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 16:13, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> >> I've never really understood this question asked during installation:
> >> "Does your computer use UTC" (or something like that).
> >> How does one determine the answer?
> >
> > Look at the time in the BIOS.
>
> I looked in the BIOS,
> and there is nothing there to say if it is or is not using UTC.
>
> > You would use UTC=YES on a Linux-only machine, and UTC=NO
> > on a dualboot (Linux/Windows) machine.
>
> If that is a correct answer, then this simply confirms my view
> that this is a silly question to ask during installation.
>
> How is the user meant to determine the answer to the question?
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy

I don't recollect the question being asked during install, but I do forget
stuff.

This is what my currently booted up FC2 install shows when running.

[djmons@localhost djmons]$ /sbin/hwclock --show
Tue 27 Mar 2007 16:31:40 CEST  -0.113107 seconds
[djmons@localhost djmons]$

I have 5 Linux distros that run on this machine plus Win ME. I'm using NTP on
the Linux distros (FC1,2,3, and2xFC5) which are accessing 3 stratum2 time
servers. Whichever distro I boot, including ME, the time is always correct.

I have 2 machines on a network going through a Smoothwall firewall that
connects to the Internet through a serial (dialup) modem. I usually shutdown
the 2 machines at night unless I'm doing updates, so when I boot up the next
day, ntpdate runs but can't update the time because there is no Internet
connection, and this was my situation last Saturday. After booting the
machine that used the NTP time servers, I connected to the Internet, and then
ran /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u <server name>, and the time changed from CET to
CEST.

The other machine has no problems, as this is getting time updates from the
machine that's already now connected to the Internet. There are about 14
linux distros running on this machine, plus a couple of Win XP's, and I have
had a few problems getting the time to show correctly on some of them, but
all in all I think (hope) that they are all correct at the moment.

None of this rambling answers why you got a double summer time, but as I said
before it would be better if the powers that be left the time alone. After
all were not these time changes set up during WW2?

btw. I have Debian running on the other machine at the moment, and have to run
hwclock as root on that, but it doesn't say whether the time is CET, CEST,
UTP, or whatever, as below.

Last login: Tue Mar 27 13:19:40 2007
djmons@debian:~$ su
Password:
debian:/home/djmons# hwclock --show
Tue Mar 27 17:43:07 2007  -0.235403 seconds
debian:/home/djmons#

If we didn't have to bother about time, we'd have so much more time to do the
things we wanted to do.

Nigel.