Re: audio weirdness

On Monday 26 March 2007 16:28, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I recently installed the remi firefox2 on my FC4 machine, It works
> better then the old firefox in many respoect but one thing is
> frusatrating me.
>
> If I go to to www.npr.org I can play the program stream which plays with
> mplayer. But if I try to play one of the npr program audio streams
> mplayer opens and processes the audio input but no continuous sound
> comes out. Just instants of sound from time to time. Other radio music
> stations play but not npr.
>
> I really want to play the audio stream with realplay but when I feed the
> strea, of realplay it complains of a missing audio type,
> Any ideas.

> "I am your density." -- George McFly in "Back to the Future"

I've just tried it, and it seems to want to use WM. This works ok as I have
Mplayerplugin installed.

I'm only on dialup, but the hourly newscast plays ok, and so does the NPR
Program Stream.

I've been on sites that give you the choice of Realplayer, or Wm. Sometimes
one works , and the other doesn't.

I think you just have to go with the one that works. For me, as long as I can
hear some speech, or some music, I couldn't care less if it's using
Realplayer, Windows media player, Flash, or whatever.

Saying that though, I've just tried to play music from the site, and as I've
said. I am on dialup, and am just getting 1 or 2 seconds of music at a time,
followed by some buffering, then a bit more music.

Too much bandwidth needed for the music, but speech works ok.

Nigel.