Re: Fedora and the "normal" user

--- Peter Lauri <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering to remove all Windows apps on my
> staff's computers and
> replace it with Fedora. The main things they use are
> email, web, chat, word
> processing etc. I know all these are supported in
> Fedora, and I do like how
> they work (using them my self mostly, unless I am
> using this computer that
> has windows installed).
>
> Is there anyone here who has enforced usage of
> Fedora on your staff's
> computers where the staff has pretty low computer
> experience etc. I assume I
> just need to give them time to get used to it.
>
> Would you recommend them to use GNOME or KDE?

Any of the two would do the job.  I would install both
and/or include XFCE also so they could decide
themselves.

> What is the main concern about a Windows -> Fedora
> transform for "normal"
> people? My feeling is that most people using Fedora
> are of higher computer
> experience.

There are several concerns when moving from Windows to
Fedora or any linux for that matter.  One of the ways
to make the tranformation smooth is for them to try it
out without any risks.  A Fedora Live CD would do the
job.  After playing around with it and feeling
comfortable with it go ahead and install Fedora and
let the users use it and work with it.

> Would you let your mum use Fedora instead of and Win
> XP machine? (assume
> that you installed it properly for her).

Sure! why not?  Sure Fedora is a bit more harder than
XP, but as long as the basic things that you mention
(word processing, email, web, chat, etc) get done as
easily as XP, there should be no problems.

You can refer them to the Fedora FAQ
http://www.fedorafaq.org/ for more information and how
to do things.  Also let them know that many Fedora
Users are great people that are willing to help.  This
list is an example and the Fedora Forum as well.