Re: Auto - Update Packages with Yum

On 03/22/2007 08:04:02 PM, Tony Crouch wrote:

Is there a way of linking in packages I have installed myself so that
they will check automatically for an updated version through yum to save me the hassle of having to check every few months for a new version.

Yes, check out checkinstall at
http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

What it does is create an rpm from the tar.gz or bz file, then install the rpm and enter the program into the yum database.

Of course, if you have an rpm package to begin with, just do a local install and then it'll be entered into the database. 'yum localinstall <place where rpm is>

Cheers,
Rikke