Auto - Update Packages with Yum

Hi All,
I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with curious yum
question.

Is there a way of linking in packages I have installed myself so that they
will check automatically for an updated version through yum to save me the
hassle of having to check every few months for a new version.

I am talking about programs such as SciLab, R, etc.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers,
Tony Crouch