Re: Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

On 3/16/07, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yesterday I downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu Live CD (6.06),
and it worked like perfectly on the 4 machines I tried it on.

The rather ancient version of Knoppix I have
also works perfectly on all the machines I have tried it on.

I downloaded and burnt the Fedora-7 Test Live CD some time ago,
and this does not boot on any machine I've tried it on.

"Fedora-7 Test Live CD"
Your problem is the word "Test" in there.  Why do people expect
testing releases to work perfectly?  How about comparing with the
Fedora Core 6 Live CD before bashing Fedora for not working.

I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had successfully booted from this CD,
but I only got advice on how to test the CD;
nobody replied that they had actually got it to work.

Did you try the test list, rather than here?

In my experience there is something basically wrong
with the CD reading part of Fedora CDs,
as many people report problems installing Fedora this way.

When I installed F7T1, I had to manually load a kernel module for it
to read the DVD.  This was a known problem with the nv_sata (I think)
module not getting loaded automatically.  What hardware did you test
this on?

Jonathan