Re: Setting up Eclipse

Am Donnerstag, den 15.03.2007, 21:17 -0600 schrieb Charles Curley:

Hi Charles.

This list is propably wrong for your rant about Eclipse on the Linux
Desktop. Please have a look for those issues at:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Linux_Distributions_Project

> I'm trying to set up Eclipse 3.2.2 on my laptop. The first problem I
> hit is that the locations available for saving extensions are all in
> root territory, /usr/share and /usr/lib. So of course as a non-root
> user I can't write to them. Is there a location for local storage of
> extensions? No, that would be too easy.

Try this one:

Download the tar.gz from Eclipse.org, deploy it to a location at your
home dir. Start and run Eclipse from there and be happy.

> OK, I can add to the list of extension locations. I click on that, and
> get a list of directories in my home directory. No .directories show,
> e.g. .eclipse, etc. Great.

Yes. This is what happens if you run the rpm Version. It is not finished
right now. Andrew Overholt does an outstanding job to accomplish his
tasks.

If you like you can follow this actions in:

fedora-devel-java-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Please file a bugzilla report. Either on https://bugzilla.redhat.com or
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/

> I found out later by accident that if you right click in the picker
> window, you can turn on "show hidden files". Another intuitive and
> obvious GUI feature.

Please file a bugzilla report. Either on https://bugzilla.redhat.com or
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/

> There is a description of what Eclipse is looking for in the file
> picker. OK, if the people who wrote the file picker know what they
> need, why can't the user pick a convenient spot and have Eclipse build
> the directory structure? Did someone say, "User friendly"?

Please file a bugzilla report. Either on https://bugzilla.redhat.com or
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/

> So I built the whole tree by hand, selected it, and Eclipse insisted
> on restarting. Someone please tell the developers that this is not
> Windows.

You can do this. You do not know how? Well it is easy.

Please file a bugzilla report. Either on https://bugzilla.redhat.com or
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/

> I then started looking for extensions. Again. For each repository,
> Eclipse wants to know, again, my preferred mirror. Is there any reason
> Eclipse can't salt that information away in a properties file?

There is a possibility to let Eclipse Select the Mirrors automatic.

> Is everything in Eclipse this brain-damaged user hostile? Is this a
> test designed to limit Eclipse users to uber-geeks?

No it is not. Eclipse is not ready for a centralized install on a Unix
Machine. Eclipse was not Designed to run like this and all this issues
get addressed.

So either you stop shouting out such brain-damaged stuff and help
implementing the features you want, or you just switch over to another
Development IDE which fits your needs.

--
 Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
 obi unixkiste org              The first one is for beeping all the time,