Re: Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

I can see why Ubuntu is gaining popularity.

While I've "tinkered" with Linux for many years (home-based firewalls, personal SMTP servers, DNS, NTP, LAMP, MythTV e.t.c.), I still consider myself fairly junior when it comes to Linux and Unix in general, especially as a desktop. I'm an IT professional who has been stuck in network, Windoze, WebSphere and WebLogic administration for 13+ years. For my personal use, I have always had Fedora/Redhat running as I expect to pursue Red Hat certification at some point.

I have a decent set of lab of machines at home: two AMD-64s, two AMD XPs and a Pentium III. All the machines have a fairly broad set of hardware (ATI, nVidia, 3Dfx, 3ware, e.t.c.) I recently tried Ubuntu 6.10's desktop and server installations on my lab systems and was extremely impressed. Ubuntu's installation is an absolute BREEZE compared to Fedora Core 5/6. With Fedora, I've had installer problems with virtually every single Fedora install (i.e. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, media checks fine and I don't change a single setting between installs). On the other hand, Ubuntu 6.10 installed without a single hitch on each and every machine on the first attempt. I am extremely impressed!

I am very excited about Ubuntu as I now see the day I can fully wean my extended family from Microsoft. I still use Fedora for my home "servers" but I've got Ubuntu running so I can learn how to support it. As soon as I feel comfortable with Ubuntu, I will be switching my family members from Microsoft Windows.

--
-Brian
brian@xxxxxxxxxx			http:\\www.miatar.org\