Re: please help: xv on FC6 x86_64 won't set root window

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 13:04 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
Correct, xv is not relevant any more.
And yes, I was a fan of xv for years, but that was many years ago,
now. :)

I don't know why xv is not relevant. It works more easily to display
images, change image coding, manipulate sizes, crop, etc that anything
else I have seen.

As you stated, there has been no development on xv for years now. That alone makes it irrelevant. But here are some more reasons:

1. No support for 'Desktop' controls.  Only supports the X root window.
2. Antiquated user interface.
3. Newer tools may be superior, although not as comprehensive; ie: gthumb, eyeofgnome (eog), comix, eqview, mirage, etc. see: http://fedoraproject.org/extras/6/i386/repodata/repoview/graphics.group.html for more.
4. xv is not maintained as an rpm (that I know of)

xv had its day, and I regret its passing, but in my most humble opinion, it has surely passed.

Have Fun!