Re: DVD frustration - new observation

Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 13:08 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
Thinking about what you said, I realised that you may be testing with commercially burned disks, while I was testing with home-burned disks. To my surprise xine opened an old commercially burned disk without a problem (old, non-encrypted - I haven't tried an encrypted one). That leads me to wonder whether these latest versions of video-players are actually looking for something that is present in a commercially burned disk but not in one created by dvdauthor.

There's a number of variables:  Stand-alone DVD players are often quite
tolerant of nonsense on discs, and also quite intolerant of other
things.  Stand-alone DVD recorders usually do not record in a standard
DVD-Video manner.  Computer burnt discs may be burnt incorrectly (wrong
file system, multiple file systems with poor file naming choices in one
of them, discs should contain upper-case AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
directories, with all upper-case filenames inside them, the first file
to be played should be the first file actually written to the disc).
Both stand-alone and computer burnt discs may create playback problems
with multi-session recordings.  Computers playing DVDs may mount discs
incorrectly if they have multiple formats on them (Joliet shouldn't be
used, ISO-9660 can be used, UDF should be used).

If you look at the files created by a standalone player, you may find that they do some strange things in the file that affect how they play on Linux. I know that DVD's created in my DVD recorder won't play in my PS2. I have looked at the IFO files and found that if I just run a check of the files and then re-burn the DVD, they will work. I have not gone into great details on this.

I do know that I seem to have some issues with DVD's burned on this recorder and playing them in my new but very cheap DVD player. But the DVD player will play almost anything, even PAL DVD's with no issues.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.