Re: Laptop recomendations

----- Original Message ----- From: "alan" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: Laptop recomendations

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 16:17 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Also, know that Dell provides NO HELP to the linux community, in
contrast to HP. At least, as far as PDA's go. I'm sorry that I
purchased a x50v and swore that it would be the last of my Dell
hardware. But I was stupid and gave them my money for this lappy. I'd
suggest pressuring Dell by NOT buying their equipment.

I have a Dell Latitude D800.  It works quite well, except for a few
buttons.  But, then I don't need them anyway, so no loss.  The only
thing I don't like is the 1920x1200 res LCD.  I thought it would be
nice, but the resolution is too high for the 15.4" LCD.

I have a 1920x1200 display on my HP. Its main purpose is to make people drool. I actually like having the resolution that tiny. I just wish that they would have put more video ram in ti. As for the buttons, there is a mapping utility in X that I used to map them to applications in Gnome. Worked pretty well. (Still don't use them, but I could map them.)

Though my Dell laptop experience has been good, I'm going to be getting
a business grade HP or Lenovo laptop next time.  I'm leaning heavily
towards HP at the moment.

The thing that convinced me to buy an HP was their 3 year warrenty. They will fix any damage to the laptop during that period. I have had to use it only twice, but it was well worth it. (Once for a dead power brick. Once when I got the PCMCIA ejector button caught on my laptop bag and ripped it out.) I would recommend buying an extra hard drive as well. HP will reformat and reinstall Windows on your machine every time it goes in for warrenty. (And not even an updated and patched copy, but the original disk image!)

As for device support... I have gotten pretty much everything working on my HP. The Winmodem is an unknown, since I do not use it. (As well as having a very good PCMCIA modem back when they made such things.) There is also a memory adapter that I just need firmware for. Of course, I bought it two and a half years ago, so it has had time for the drivers to catch up with it...

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing." - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark