Re: Laptop recomendations

On 10/03/07, John Bowden <john.bowden43@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi List,
I'm just about to purchase a laptop and have narrowed it down to a
choice of these:

Hp Compaq Nx7300 Cel-m 430 / 512mb 80gb Dvd+/-rw Dl 15.4-tft Wxga Wxp
Pro Qw-uk

Lenovo 3000 C200 Cel-m 430 / 512mb 80gb 15-tft Dvd Recordable Aud Wlan
Vista Hbasic Qw Ts

Hp 510 P-m 770 / 512mb 60gb Dvd+/-rw 15.4-tft Wxga Wxp Home

Dell Inspiron 1501.
Anyone had any experiance with getting FC6 onto any of these? Any
recomendations?
--
Registered Linux user number 414240
Guy Fawkes the only person to enter the Parliament with honest

I'm running FC6 on a Dell 6400/E1505 right now. Widescreen display
works, touchpad works, wifi works, usb works, card reader works, VGA
output works.

Problems:
1) DON"T TOUCH the Media button. It goes looking for NTFS paritions
and ERASES EVERYTHING when it doesn't find one. Lost my first FC
install that way. I peeled off the Intel Inside and Vista Ready
metallica stickers from the front of the unit and put them over the
media button to prevent accidentally hitting the damn thing.
2) Bluetooth has proven elusive, but I haven't tried very hard to get
it working.
3) Sometimes when returning from sleep/hibernate the keyboard nor
mouse work. So it's 5 seconds on the Power button to power down and
power back up.
4) The media buttons on the front of the unit seem to be decorative
only. Can't get them to do anything other than light up blue.
5) Although I was able to control the backlight from the built-in Fn
keys when I first installed Fedora, I can no longer do that. I'm not
sure if it was an upgrade or something else, but I can no longer
adjust the screen backlight.
6) The machine is built from pressed crap. The keyboard is nice to
type on, but the screen is glossy, the rubber shoes fell off in less
than a month, and the machine gets scratched just by breathing on it.

Also, know that Dell provides NO HELP to the linux community, in
contrast to HP. At least, as far as PDA's go. I'm sorry that I
purchased a x50v and swore that it would be the last of my Dell
hardware. But I was stupid and gave them my money for this lappy. I'd
suggest pressuring Dell by NOT buying their equipment.

Enjoy.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/question/what_is_a_firewall.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/wikipedia.html