Re: Use tar to append?

Ed Greshko wrote:
wondering why you wouldn't use Amanda.

I wrote

(2) It requires learning how to use Yet Another Package when
I'm not interested in making my OS be a hobby.

Yes, a personal choice.

Well, that should end it, then. De gustibus non
disputandum est. Why are you arguing?

[snip]

Yeah, that's the problem with open source software. It makes it so hard to move to a different platform. :-)

I don't want to do builds and installs of stuff. I DID mention I didn't
want my OS to become a hobby.

BTW, it doesn't use "other than standard tools". It uses either native dump and/or GNU tar.

Amanda is not Standard.

[snip]

Because use of amanda makes a nice way to do backups and takes care of

Define "nice way". Again, this is my personal choice. I gave
you the reasons I made it. So, let it drop.

all problems one may encounter trying to maintain their own set of

NOTHING takes care of "all problems".

tools/scripts. Thought you may want to give it a try. You don't have to. Just a suggestion. Have fun hacking at tar and gzip.

I have a system which has worked fine for me. I'd like to tweak
it. I don't want to learn a whole system.

You gonna do a port of amanda to my next OS?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.