Re: Use tar to append?

Mike McCarty wrote:

wondering why you wouldn't use Amanda.

(1) It requires installing Yet Another Package onto my already
cramped for free space system.

All the amanda rpms are quite small.  The largest is 500K.

(2) It requires learning how to use Yet Another Package when
I'm not interested in making my OS be a hobby.

Yes, a personal choice.

(3) It uses other than Standard Tools, which if I decide to
move to another OS will make my backups not very usable.

Yeah, that's the problem with open source software. It makes it so hard to move to a different platform. :-)

BTW, it doesn't use "other than standard tools". It uses either native dump and/or GNU tar.

(4) The Standard Tools are perfectly adequate for the task,
so far.

Right...so far....to a point...

In fact, I wonder why that is even a question.

Because use of amanda makes a nice way to do backups and takes care of all problems one may encounter trying to maintain their own set of tools/scripts. Thought you may want to give it a try. You don't have to. Just a suggestion. Have fun hacking at tar and gzip.