Re: Nvdia module

* Tim [07/03/07 14:49]:
> Okay, that's changing the fan speed rather than just turning it off.
> Less risky, but still has some risk.  There are some systems that use
> variable speed fans.  But if you have a noisy fan, it could be that the
> bearings are shot, and that slowing it down isn't going to help.  It
> might even make things worse.

This is a completely new Dell system. I got it with XP installed in a
partition. I haven't booted much into XP, but once that I did it I
noticed that it started as loud as in Linux but after a while it would
turn quieter, and wondered why the behaviour was not the same in
Linux. I had another system that also would start with fans at full
speed in the booting process and turn quieter after a while and keep
quiet whatever the amount of time that you used it, with no
missbehaviour.

> What's the noise?  Rattly noises, vibrations, just the normal sound of a
> fan spinning?

The noise is just steady but louder, as if the fas was going at full
speed. Normal fan spinning but spinning hard.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona