Re: Nvdia module

Tim:
>> Do you *REALLY* want an non-operational fan?  They're put on the card
>> for a reason - so it won't fry itself.  Perhaps it'd be better to
>> replace the fan, or install another fan that vents onto the same
>> location if it's difficult to directly replace the original.

Walter Garcia-Fontes:
> Well, I don't know, but I think that the normal behaviour of these
> fans is to work harder on boot-up and decrease their speed after the
> booting process, I've seen this in a lot of machines that have lasted
> for years so I guess they are not overheating.

Okay, that's changing the fan speed rather than just turning it off.
Less risky, but still has some risk.  There are some systems that use
variable speed fans.  But if you have a noisy fan, it could be that the
bearings are shot, and that slowing it down isn't going to help.  It
might even make things worse.

What's the noise?  Rattly noises, vibrations, just the normal sound of a
fan spinning?

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.