Re: We need a new subject- bug fixes

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 21:55 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Todd Zullinger wrote:
>
> >> Sorry, Rahul, I have to disagree with you there.  It is not
> >> trivially easy for normal human beings to change anything in
> >> sendmail.
> >
> > Setting up sendmail to receive mail from the internet isn't meant for
> > normal human beings.
>
> You mean unlike trivial things like building a working kernel, or
> configuring ssh securely, or getting cups to print, or installing a DNS
> server?
>
> > It's something that competent system
> > administrators do and for those people it is trivial.
>
> Those other things I mentioned are also trivial for the few dozen people
> that do them all the time.  The rest of us don't have to deal with it
> because it works as distributed.
>
>  > The only thing
> > simpler is noting that sendmail's configuration is utterly confusing
> > while perusing the documentation and then switching to postfix or some
> > other MTA.  But I digress...
>
> That wouldn't be necessary if the distribution supplied a way to
> activate a working configuration as it does for other services.

Well, back when people complained because it was left open by default
too, on the old Caldera list. So about that time the package was
distributed by them with it closed off except for localhost, as a
security fix.

<cackles> As Roseannroseannadana would say, "It just goes to show..."
and "Never mind!" :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net