Re: mail program for FC6

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 21:15 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >> Yes, pine has one of the most bizarre user interfaces known to man and
> >> you aren't going to find anything similar in that respect.  Mutt is a
> >> little more sensible, but does anyone still use a character based mailer
> >> regularly these days? Even if you have a limited bandwidth connection,
> >> imap to a local GUI mailer is a lot nicer.
>
> > That depends how you receive your mail. Since a linux machine contains
> > its own smtp server there should no meed for the mailer to do imap.
>
> Not everyone has a public IP address with suitable DNS handling for
> every machine where they might want to read their email.
That is certainly a problem. And now that I am using sbc mail I ahve to
use pop or imap; that is true.

>  > Your
> > machine can be directly accessible. And mutt is  a mailer that handle
> > threaded - sorted mail messages properly where programs like evolution
> > can't.
>
> What do you mean by 'properly'?  This works for me:
> http://www.novell.com/documentation/evolution24/index.html?page=/documentation/evolution24/evolution24/data/usage-mail-getnsend-read.html,
>   although I've been using thunderbird more lately, which also does
> threads but is a little slower to switch back and forth between
> threaded/unthreaded views and I usually view sorted by timestamp and
> switch to threaded only when I've forgotten the  earlier part of the
> conversation.
Let us be clear what I am saying does not work. You want your mail
threaded as well as sorted in ascending order. Now you read the mail
message in a threaded mail list. The next item in the threaded list
happens to have been received after the mail message that follows the
threaded mail group. In evolution you jump to the next message but now
it appears where it would in date order. This is very annoying.

What do you do to deal with this annoyance?
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>