Re: When to update?

Mike:
>>> I have a httpd, sshd, and ncftpd.  I use iptables with very
>>> tight parameters, including a complex libipq filter I wrote.
>>> I am attacked all the time, but I don't think much, if anything,
>>> gets through.

Tim:
>> It only takes one to give you nightmares.

Mike:
> top: up 374 days

Though what does that prove?  Getting compromised doesn't have to change
your uptime.  You could be owned for any amount of that time, but never
know it.  I wouldn't tout an uptime, in itself, as an indication of
okayness.  If anything, an uptime of that length on Linux indicates that
you haven't updated a kernel in a long time, which *may* not be a good
thing.

You said you didn't think much or anything had got through (i.e. you
don't know, for sure), which was my point (that just one breakthrough is
a problem).

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.