Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

On 24/02/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No way.  Win XP comes with NOTHING.  You can't even open ZIP file. FC
> includes thousands(?) of programs.  Not a fair comparison.
>
> Since FC5, I only download the first two discs and do a minimal
> install.  I then yum groupinstall Gnome, KDE, etc.  Actual time I need
> to be present is about an hour - do XP and say 100 applications and
> tell me how long it takes you.
>
> Chris

There is some truth in what you say but implies that:
1. You have semi-fast Internet connection.
2. You know the group names of the things you want to install.
3. yum update is of less use to you. It is hard to know what things your
would like to install that may be out there.

Another strange thing that the Fedora distribution has one of the lowest
number of packages in the core distribution and one the largest number
of CDs in the distributed set. At least that was true a year or so ago.
Of course,  more modern computers that read DVDs are free of CD changing
problems during installation.

If you're lucky and careful then you can install on two disks. So
maybe a minimal spin is in order. Shall I post a wish-bug?

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/what_is_a_cellphone.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/yahoo.html