Re: fglrx question

On Sat February 24 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I might have to start from scratch again just to change the video card.
> And I'll be damned if I'm going to spend 4x the price of the mobo on a
> video card just so the gl screenblankers run smoothly.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=4128229

Just put one of these in an AGP slot in my ASUS - it scats! With 256 mb ram
it's got plenty of ooomffff - certified to run Cinelerra according to several
folks on that list, and look at that price

I know you said you like to buy local, but, if you choose to make an
exception, I've found mwave.com to be a great resource. They have the best
website for building systems from scratch, because you can choose various
mobos, and they offer you drop downs for processors they have that will work
with that mobo and drop downs for memory - takes a lot of research effort out
of the process, And their prices are some of the best. I buy a lot of stuff
from their closeouts and bargain basement sections, where you can really get
some astounding deals.

Another nice site is surpluscomputers.com - they're currently offering the
Pioneer 111 DVD writers for $39 - just bought 3 today - far as I'm concerned,
no one builds a better DVD writer than Pioneer for day-in/day-out DVD
duplication work in a studio environment

This is the place I got my SuperMicro server recently discussed in a different
thread on this list. Barebones price was $817 and that includes a 675 watt
P.S., eight hot swappable SATA trays with built in RAID, up to 64 GB of ram
in some configurations, and lots more - we got that machine up this week, and
it's dancing circles around our old $30k Compaq Proliant -

So far as the NVidia cards, I also bought a bunch of PCIx versions of the one
above, and they are real fast:
glxgears
2330 frames in 5.0 seconds = 465.975 FPS
2304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 460.695 FPS
2275 frames in 5.0 seconds = 454.949 FPS

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA