Re: ESR: Goodbye Fedora

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:59:03 +1000,
  Res <res@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe :), but he has a couple things I agree with, RH/Fedora is losing
> ground on desktop share, because people want things to just work, like as
> simple as playing a bloody mp3, which they can do with every other distro
> out there. like it or not, its here and here to stay.

If everyone has that attidude, things are likely to stay that way. I'd much
rather see people pushing Ogg and including links to download players and
plugins similar to the ones for Adobe's products, than try to get (nonfree)
licensed copies into all of the base distributions.

> Try converting winblows users to Fedora, but saying, oh but you cant play
> mp3's out of the box...you can, but youll have to go toa unofficial
> RH/Fedora repo and try install it, or do like I do and erase the players
> RH bastardises, and grab the source and install it, now say that to a
> newbie and you've lost em!  First impression are ever lasting in this
> game.

You are talking about the same idoits that will download any old crap off
the net and repeatedly get their machines trojaned. I don't see how downloading
media codecs from third party web sites are going to scare them off.