Re: ESR: Goodbye Fedora

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:15:19 -0600
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Well, whatever undocumented crap it does that allows both i386 and
> > x86_64 rpms to install "the same" files (which are in fact obviously
> > different) is clearly a wart about the size of the titanic.
>

> No, that's a feature and it lets you run packages that haven't been
> rebuilt for x86_64 and need 32 bit libraries (what, you have a single
> source for software?).

I'm talking far more insane stuff than that. Things like foobar.i386.rpm
and foobar.x86_64.rpm both being installed at the same time and both
"owning" the file /usr/bin/foobar when you can look at /usr/bin/foobar
and see that it is clearly an x86_64 executable and did not under
any circumstances come from foobar.i386.rpm.

This became far more obvious in FC6 when the default x86_64 install
seemed to also install every single version of the corresponding i386
package as well (libraries I can understand, but this is junk like
utility programs which couldn't possibly need to have a 32 bit version
installed).