Re: Intel usb camera on FC6

On 2/21/07, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 17:42 -0500, Jeff G wrote:
> On 2/21/07, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > [re-sending, left off the list]
> > >
> > > duh! - it was already installed.  That's why it was saying nothing to do.
> > > I guess it doesn't support the camera after all, even though the doc
> > > seemed to say it did.
> > >
> > > Upon further investigation, the sources say "for developers only"
> > >
> > > Thanks so much for the help.
> > >
> > > Jeff
> >
> > What does /sbin/lsusb show? Is the camera there?
> >
> > One app that I find works well with webcams, as long as they are detected is
> > "Camstream".
> >
> > I can appreciate the frustration. there are similar problems on some sound
> > cards, and TV tuner cards, etc.
> >
> > It may be worth trying a different webcam. The lifetec LT9388 using the ov511+
> > driver, which I have, works ok. See what's available, and check them out
> > before buying.
> >
> > Don't give up.
> >
> > Nigel.
>

> Thanks for the tip on viewing the devices.  I was using the
> System|Admin|Hardware app and found similar info.
>
> The device shows up in lsusb as:
>
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0733:0401 ViewQuest Technologies, Inc. CS330 WebCam
>
> Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm not giving up, just will wait to
> see if the "development only" version gets mainstreamed at some point.
>
> Meanwhile, it's not urgent to get a webcam working, just though I
> would try it out for fun.

A quick scan through the Linux-USB site reveals this page:

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/search_res.php?pattern=0733&submit=Search
%21

Smack in the middle is the 0733:0401 Intel CS330 webcam entry and it
shows it as working with the spca50x driver.  Here's a link to the
page:

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=2011

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
- "People tell me I look at the dark side.  That's not true.  I have -
-   the heart of a small boy......in a jar right here on my desk."   -
-                                                    -- Stephen King -

That's why I was hopeful that it would work.  However, it doesn't show
up, for example, in gphoto2 --list-cameras, nor on other programs that
allow me to select a supported device.

I'm sure I may be missing something, but since I'm too new, and don't
really know how to compile the driver source with FC6, I can't get any
further.

BTW, the link you provided shows the latest source version from 2003
(though it was a bit later than the one I found earlier).