Re: Xmodmap configuration

On 13/02/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 23:28 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> While looking for something else, I stumbed upon the /etc/X11/Xmodmap
> file. It seems to define certain keystrokes and their functions:
> ! keycode 22 = BackSpace
> ! keycode 107 = Delete
>
> I'd like to define certain non-English keyboard shortcuts to translate
> to their English equivelents, could I do that with this file? For
> instance, I'd like CTRL-ה to be sent to the system as CTRL-V, as ה and
> V share a key. What would be the proper syntax?

I'm not sure if that'd work.  If one looks as man ascii you can see the
old ASCII table, left of the A to Z column is the characters you used to
send on old terminals if you pressed the same letter with the CTRL key.

e.g. CTRL C sent ASCII control character 3 (ETX),
     CTRL G sent ASCII character 7 (the bell),
     and so on...

However, I'm not sure whether cut and paste works by sending those
characters, or paying attention to the *keypresses* of the control key
and another key.

Understood. What I'd like is for the keyboard shortcuts to be the same
physical keys whether I'm in English, Dvorak, or Hebrew layout as I
use all three. How would I do that?

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/question/what_is_a_cellphone.html
http://myspace-com.net