Re: MSI 965 Neo, Unable to install FC6

On Monday 12 February 2007 16:23, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> On Sunday 11 February 2007 14:22, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > Hi Teo,
> >
> > > The trouble seems to be the JMicron chipset. This has a SATA RAID
> > > option that is not recognized by the linux kernel. Another issue, is
> > > that once U get it finnaly running under linux, you don't have SMP
> > > working ( with Pentium "D" or Core2 Duo based processors).
> >
> > I just need FC to run on it and don't really care about the SMP for now.
> > Looks like there are some BIOS issues with this board as well. I'll
> > monitor the MSI site for any updates.
>
> I got a little further today. I started with the kernel option "noapic" and
> acpi in BIOS disabled. I was able to install FC6, but it does give me lots
> of errors at boot.
>
> > > best luck
>
> Well, it was a frustrating experience.
> In short, this main board is a disaster. I'm unfortunate that I bought two
> of those. I spend in total about two whole days to make it work and still
> have a non-workable system. It means that I'm looking for two new 775 main
> boards and looking for some good suggestions.

As a kind of answer. I have installed several dozens of linux boxes (starting
with the rogue Red Hat 5 a few years ago) and I dont  remember another mobo
with the same level of intolerance to linux as this MSI model.

For my best times with linux I always prefer a Intel model mobo. YMMV.

> Is there a database where I can find out which main boards work well with
> FC ? (I don't like to buy two new ones and have the same experience again).

Maybe this:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Hardware-HOWTO/

> regards,
> Marcel