Re: [Fwd: User account ( hacked ) of FC6 System]

Tim:
>> I am curious whether a user can cause system problems by modifying
>> their own files?

Les:
> Yes, they can.  There are many many files in the user account that
> either begin with "." or reside in a directory that begins with "."
> that the user owns and can modify, which are in fact modified by the
> controls for the various applications, so write capability is required
> for customization.  If you go to a users directory and do the command
>         % ls -al
>
>    You will see a number of files and directories that begin with "."
> in each of these there are controls for the applications behavior from
> ".login" to ".bashrc" or ".kashrc" to various ".ini" files or ".dat"
> files that are used to setup and initialize applications, or in the
> case of the browser to select plugins to decode some forms of web
> data, such as JAVA or Jscript, movie formats, still photograph
> formats, downloads, etc. etc.

That much I know.  They can affect how *they* use their account, but can
they affect the "system"?  i.e. What the computer does in their absence,
and how other users use it?

Sure, I can stuff up my .bash* files, and make it impossible for me to
use my account properly.  But the next person to log on isn't using my
account, and isn't affected by my mangled .bash* files.  The question is
can I do something to my personal files that isn't restricted to my own
use of a system?

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.