Re: [Fwd: User account ( hacked ) of FC6 System]

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 17:14 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 09:44 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Remember, the object of this is to set the directory owner/modes so
> > that the user can still create/remove his own files but can't
> > remove/replace certain files that you will chown to root.
>
> I am curious whether a user can cause system problems by modifying their
> own files?
Yes, they can.  There are many many files in the user account that
either begin with "." or reside in a directory that begins with "." that
the user owns and can modify, which are in fact modified by the controls
for the various applications, so write capability is required for
customization.  If you go to a users directory and do the command
	% ls -al

   You will see a number of files and directories that begin with "." in
each of these there are controls for the applications behavior from
".login" to ".bashrc" or ".kashrc" to various ".ini" files or ".dat"
files that are used to setup and initialize applications, or in the case
of the browser to select plugins to decode some forms of web data, such
as JAVA or Jscript, movie formats, still photograph formats, downloads,
etc. etc.

   When I maintained Unix systems, I would always have a generic user
account that I could verify settings in, so that I could take a user
back to basics to get them going again when things got messed up in
their accounts or to check that the system had not in some way become
corrupted (we did development, so lots of things could happen).

Regards,
Les H