Re: [Fwd: User account ( hacked ) of FC6 System]

edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>> chmod g+rwx ( What number of g+rwx, eg : ?77 ) /home/edward
>>
>> You can use the symbolic form literally. I think it's easier to
>> understand. Let the computer do the binary/octal math.
>> g+rwx means add the read, write, and execute bits for the group.
>
> But I want to know what no of g+rwx...

The + means it is added to the bits already permitted.  Look at them as
groups of 3 bits in binary and take the octal value.

 user   group    other
 rwx    rwx     rwx

You'll start with a home dir having rwx --- ---  so that's 111 000 000
binary or 700 octal.
Add  the group rwx and you get 111 111 000 or 770 octal

>>> chmod +t ( What number of +t ) /home/edward

That's one more bit to the left, 1 000 000 000  binary, so 1000 octal.
Add that to what you have.

>> Same here, you can type it that way and it means add the "sticky" bit.
>
> Also want to know...

Altogether, the octal value for the mode ends up at 1770.  But, as I
said before the computer does a better job of thinking in octal.

>>> chown root /home/edward/ All_dot_filenames
>>
>> Don't get carried away with wildcards on this one. .* will also match
>> .. which is your parent directory.
>>
> ok,
> chown root /home/edward/.*

I meant not to do that.  In this case it won't break anything because
the parent (..) dir of /home/edward will alread be owned by root, but it
is a bad idea in general to wildcard .*

--
  Les Mikesell
  lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx